Wednesday, May 5, 2010

and then there were two....

My Monday visit to Dr. Berardi was very liberating, 3 out of my 5 JP drains were removed. It felt like losing 10 lbs instantly the bulk of all the tubes and bulbs made it nearly impossible to wear anything other then pajamas....So it is official, I am healing which feels good. After the visit with Dr. Berardi, Chris and I made a quick stop at Trader Joe's for some pantry staples, then headed up the hill. We stopped at Lefty's Steakhouse in Dewey for a bite to eat on the way home and I was ready to collapse. I couldn't really sleep during the car ride and the whole adventure was about 8 hours from start to finish. I was so exhausted upon arriving home. This surgery has certainly tapped my stamina. I pretty much recovered all of Tuesday. I have some swelling from the drain removal, which I assume is normal. I continue to have the same level of discomfort, with perhaps a little less fatigue with each passing day.

Dr. Berardi is going to perform another out-patient procedure on me Wednesday, May 12th. Some remaining tissue on the right breast is not healing properly and he is going to remove it. This is probably due to scar tissue from the original biopsy in March. He assures me this is "light sedation" I think that means I will be kind of put under, but the procedure should only take about 15 minutes. It is really strange how accustomed to all this medical stuff I am becoming. A little light sedation sounds like a walk in the park to me now.

Tomorrow I get to meet my Oncologist, his name is Dr. Vu and his office is in Prescott Valley. Thank heavens I won't be making the Phoenix drive for chemotherapy. I hear great things about his office and I am looking forward to the details he can share with me about my cancers.

Thank you to everyone for all the help along the way. The meals have been delicious and such a great help. All the visits have been good for my spirit, and the boys have enjoyed all the company too. It has been a week today since I was released from the hospital, and I have to say I have come along way. Thanks for all the love, flowers, cards, thoughts, prayers, time and concern it is all working and I am on the mend.
drink water and breathe....

1 comment:

  1. My dear Sarah,

    Our dear friend Barb relayed your journey thru our Chi's friends. My heart aches but at the same time, I know what a fiesty b#$%^ you can be and know that the boys will have there mom around for a long time given your strong will.

    I am living in Phoenix and would like to offer you a place to rest and stay when you are here for surgery, dr appts, etc. I have a big, beautiful home with two guest rooms ready for you and your "aide" which might make the trip to Phoenix a little easier. I lost my job in December, and have plenty of time to fuss over you and make maztoh ball soup (although I never have before, I would for you!)

    Kiss those boys from Auntie Lisa and please, please, please take me up on staying at our home. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Love, Alisa 928.925.8050

    ReplyDelete