Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hello from the Thompson Peak Spa........

All I can say is the last few days have been a complete blur. I was admitted into the hospital via the emergency room on April 22nd. I had an IV placed in my arm along with a slough of other tests.........all to make sure that I was fit enough for surgery. Apparently I passed the test, I was scheduled to go into the OR around 1:00 PM on Friday afternoon. By Thursday I had met 2 out of the 3 surgeons that were on my dance card. The mystery surgeon was Dr. Mike Janiseck, apparently he is very popular at this hospital EVERYONE, and I do mean EVERYONE had wonderful things to say about him. He is and OB/GYN Oncologist, apparently there are not to many around in this specific field. I got to meet him at 8:00 PM on Thursday, I gave him CD's of the PET scan and ultrasound. We went over a few possible surgical scenarios, Dr J said he would get back to me in the morning after he reviewed the results from my tests.
He had a great bedside manner and worked up a little flow chart of my possible surgical outcomes. All I could do was wait, at least I had Kerry here to pamper me, and remind me to drink water and breathe.
Dr. J came to see me 1st thing Friday morning, good morning was followed with it "pretty much looks like cancer on your ovary" . I actually left Prescott planning to have a hysterectomy, it doesn't make it any more fun to hear those words from yet another surgeon. They were going to try to get me in a little earlier, which makes for a little less waiting. I took my pre-op shower with Kerry assisting. My dad and step-mom Diane showed up, as well as my good friend Liette. Then we waited.....which has got to be the worst part. They did come for me early, about 10:30 Kerry and Liette were aloud to go into pre-op with me. A few last minute tests and some final waivers to sign for the Dr.'s. I remember the anaesthesiologists was Dr. Stearns and my plastic surgeon Dr. Berardi marked all over my chest nip-tuck style with a BLUE SHARPIE.......CAN YOU BELIEVE A SHARPIE? I was wheeled out of pre-op in an orchid colored paper gown, that is temperature controlled by an air hose. Nice little hairnet on my head and purple surgery socks.
Dr. Stearns gave me a little injection, and Regina a nurse from the Phillipines wheeled me off to the operating room I think it was around 11:30. I said goodbye and I love you to Kerry and Liette, I remember being wheeled in to the large Operating room, and then it was lights out. My next memory is a recovery nurse asking what my pain level was on a scale of 1-10, ten of course being the worst. I don't even know my answer. I was returned to my room sometime after 7:00 I think. That part of the story belongs to Kerry or Liette. I think I underwent about 6 hours of surgery........that thought is so damn creepy to me, it is like a period of no time, I can't quite explain it. I know I had surgery I have the drains and the scars to prove it but it doesn't make that time feel any less surreal.
When life brings you this kind of crazy all you can do is drink water and breathe.....


  1. I'm glad you're still kicking sis and able to put words together. Surgery is wierd missing time that never comes back. Rest sis and let us carry the load for a while.

  2. Uncle Larry and I are following your journey via the blog. I read it to him out loud on the way to the beach house in Mexico last weekend. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop. So glad the surgery is over but we know there's still a long road ahead. You will remain in our thoughts and prayers and if we can help in any way, please do not hesitate to ask. We love you! Uncle Larry and Michele

  3. Hang tough! If you're related to Sean, you sure got that kick-butt mentality that w/ serve you well. Rest & follow doctors' orders!

  4. Hang in there, Sarah! So glad to read your blog. We love you and please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

  5. We are keeping you in our thoughts!



  6. Sarah, Here is the link to our friend (Krystal)and Kimberly's Cheer gym owner
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/krystalmitchell. I will send her your link as well.

  7. Glad to see you came out of surgery OK. We're all thinking about you and will continue to read your blog daily. We wish the you the best recovery ever, Sarah, and if there's anything we can do, please call. (775-3362)
    Missing you,
    Susan, Greg and David

  8. Sarah, Lynn and I are thinking about you daily and praying for your very quick recovery. We miss you and remember if you need anything call me 636-1426. Lori

  9. Keeping good thought for a complete and speedy recovery for you. Sean's fans are your fans.